The Perfect Acai Bowl Recipe
Acai bowls (pronounced ah-sy-ee) have a lot of buzz right now, thanks to the amazing efforts of YouTubers, bloggers, and influencers on Instagram. And there’s a reason. Acai bowl recipes — which originate from Brazil — make up the trifecta of all good things: not only are they healthy (made from the superfood acai berries that pack a good-for-you punch), they are visually pleasing, and to top it off, they’re super, super delicious. What more could you want from a breakfast dish?
If you’re not located in a major city though, the issue is finding a place trendy enough to offer acai bowls. Though I used to live in Hoboken and work in Manhattan, recent life events have found me back in hometown on Long Island — an unfortunate result of which is limited access to trendy things (like acai bowls). Though I will say, if you’re from the Suffolk County area, Sundaes in Port Jefferson makes a pretty yummy version of acai bowls and I also heard a rumor that Ralph’s chains are going to be hopping on the wagon soon, too.
Cue me being so unbelievably desperate for a scrumptious fruit bowl topped with granola, chia seeds, and shredded coconut that I became a self-proclaimed master at perfecting the acai bowl at home. Now, I’m sharing my recipe.
(Photo Credit: Tess Rampersad)
- Acai berry juice or frozen acai packets (juice is available at Costco, frozen packets can be found at Whole Foods, on Amazon, or Sambazon)
- Frozen banana
- Almond or coconut milk
- Shredded coconut
- Chia seeds
- Blend the frozen banana and acai berry juice (or frozen packet) together. Some recipes call for 1/2 banana but I usually use a whole one.
- Add in a tiny bit of almond or coconut milk in order to create the paste-like texture. Be careful not to over blend. You don’t want bumps of banana or acai in your bowl, but it should be thicker and creamier than a smoothie.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and now add your favorite toppings. The ones I always include are granola, coconut flakes, chia seeds, blueberries, and strawberries; but if I’m feeling fancy, I’ll add strawberries and kiwi in there too for extra flavoring and texture.
- Enjoy your acai bowl! (But probably find some exceptional lighting and Instagram it first.)